||last name @ google.com
||first name @ melnix.com
||+1 (425) 936-4132
747 6th Street South
Kirkland, WA 98033, USA
is a member of technical staff at Google.
Before that he was a researcher in the Database Group
at Microsoft Research
a visiting researcher in the
Stanford Database Group
(1999-2002), and served as
an invited expert at the World-Wide Web Consortium.
He got an M.S. and a
Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Leipzig, Germany. He received
best paper awards at SIGMOD, ICDE and OSDI conferences, a 10-year Most Influential Paper Award at ICDE, and a best dissertation award
from the German C.S. Society.
At Google, Sergey develops data management solutions for web-scale datasets. His recent work
was published in the Research Highlights
section of CACM. Previously, at Microsoft he was doing research on model management, object-to-relational mapping for the ADO.NET Entity Framework, XML-to-relational mapping, and schema matching, much of it with Phil Bernstein
and the Data Programmability team in SQL Server.
- Spanner: Google's Globally-Distributed Database, with J. Corbett, J. Dean, M. Epstein, C. Frost, J. Furman, S. Ghemawat, A. Gubarev, C. Heiser, P. Hochschild, W. Hsieh, S. Kanthak, E. Kogan, H. Li, A. Lloyd, D. Mwaura, D. Nagle, S. Quinlan, R. Rao, L. Rolig, Y. Saito, M. Szymaniak, C. Taylor, R. Wang, and D. Woodford. OSDI'12 (Best Paper)
- Dremel: Interactive Analysis of Web-Scale Datasets, with A. Gubarev, J. J. Long, G. Romer, S. Shivakumar, M. Tolton, and T. Vassilakis. VLDB'10 (slides). Invited article in CACM Research Highlights, prefaced with Technical Perspective by Mike Franklin.
- Reverse Engineering Models from Databases to Bootstrap Application Development, with A.
Malpani, P.A. Bernstein, and J. Terwilliger. ICDE'10 (demo)
- Full-Fidelity Flexible Object-Oriented XML Access, with J.F. Terwilliger and P.A. Bernstein. VLDB'09.
- Compiling Mappings to Bridge Applications and Databases,
with A. Adya and P.A. Bernstein. SIGMOD'07
(Best Paper), journal version (TODS'08)
Recent program committee service
- ICDE'11, CIDR'11, VLDB'11, SIGMOD'11, SOCC'12, DBTest'13, HPTS'13